Winsley

Winsley

.

Winsley, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

Go to an expanded version here

Winsley was a part of the Ancient Parish and of the Manor of Bradford and was a Tithing of the Hundred of Bradford. The church of St Nicholas was a chapel of the mother church in Bradford itself. The present Civil Parish of Winsley...

Read More

Wingfield

.

Wingfield seems to be included within the bounds of the land that was given with the Manor of Bradford to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001. It continued to be part of the Hundred of Bradford and is still in the Bradford South constituency of Wiltshire Council and part of the...

Read More

Westwood

Westwood was a separate manor from Bradford, but its church was a chapel of the mother church of Holy Trinity in Bradford. The manor belonged to the Priory of St Swithun in Winchester and was counted as a part of the Bradford Hundred until the 13th century, when the Prior claimed to be free of it. At times and formally from the 16th...

Read More

South Wraxall

South Wraxall

. South Wraxall was a part of the Ancient Parish of Bradford, as well as of the Manor of Bradford and of the Bradford Hundred. The church of St James was a chapel of the mother church of Holy Trinity in Bradford. It became a separate civil parish in 1884, at which time Bradford Leigh and part of Woolley (which were formerly in the Tithing of Leigh...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh Priory

Monkton Farleigh Priory

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

..

 

A monastery of Cluniac monks dedicated to St Mary Magdalene was founded at Farleigh in about 1125 by Humphrey de Bohun II, who died in 1131. He endowed it with his manor of Farleigh and most of it was confirmed by his son...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh in Domesday Book

.

Domesday Book resulted from a survey for taxation purposes that was ordered by King William I in 1086. It was written in a mixture of Latin and Old English as a series of abbreviations for terms that are unfamiliar today.

There are two entries for property in Monkton Farleigh in Domesday Book:

Brictric holds Farlege ...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh

Monkton Farleigh (frequently written as Farley in the past) lies in the northwest corner of the Bradford Hundred area. Also at its highest point, rising to 200m. On the western and northern sides, steep wooded slopes go down into the valley of the Avon and a tributary, the By Brook, both in Somerset. It has boundaries with...

Read More

Stokeford Bridge

Stokeford Bridge

.

Limpley Stoke and Winsley, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

As a route to Bath, horses could cross the Avon at the ancient Stoke Ford, at the foot of Winsley Hill and there must have been traffic between Stoke and its mother parish of Bradford.

In 1731 Thomas...

Read More

Limpley Stoke

.

Limpley Stoke’s position is anomalous in that it lies entirely on the west side of the River Avon, forming a sharp triangle of Wiltshire that juts into Somerset. It was perhaps left over after various Kings of Wessex and of Anglo-Saxon England had given other...

Read More

Atworth

Atworth

Most of the present parish of Atworth was originally part of the Manor and of the Ancient Parish of Bradford and its church was a chapel of Holy Trinity in Bradford. It was also known as Atworth Magna to distinguish it from a smaller area which was called Atworth Parva, Little Atworth or Cottles. The modern Civil Parish of Atworth was created on 19 December 1884 by detaching the...

Read More

Broughton Gifford

Broughton Gifford is the easternmost parish of the Bradford Hundred, bordering on Melksham. It was not part of the Manor of Bradford that was given to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001, and was still in the King’s hands at the time of Domesday Book in 1086. However, it was a part of the Bradford Hundred under the Abbess of Shaftesbury,...

Read More