.

St James’ Church

South Wraxall, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

South Wraxall church

Like most of the other churches of the Bradford Hundred villages, St James’ church was largely rebuilt in the 19th century, leaving the medieval tower and porch with adjacent Long Chapel. The church was for most of its existence a chapel of Holy Trinity, the mother church of the large parish of Bradford on Avon, becoming separated when the ecclesiastical parish of Atworth & South Wraxall was created in 1846. It was mentioned in a list of chapels in 1349.

The tower is the oldest part, built early in the 14th century. It has a stone saddleback roof, as has its fairly massive stair turret. The combined south porch and Long Chapel was built under its own roof, parallel to the nave, in the 15th century and altered in the 16th. The Long Chapel contains memorials to members of the Long family who owned South Wraxall Manor. The main body of the church was rebuilt in 1832 and the north aisle arcade in 1887. A watercolour painting by John Buckler in the Wiltshire Museum, Devizes shows how the church looked in 1808, before the rebuild.

porch and Long Chapel, South Wraxall church