.

Limpley Stoke Brewery

Limpley Stoke, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Limpley Stoke Brewery poster

.

Frederick Cumberland was the owner of the Limpley Stoke Brewery in 1888 when he formed a partnership with Edward Augustus Green of Bath and they bought the Combe Down Brewery in nearby Bath. This brewery had been formed at the King William IV pub at Combe Down by Bath wine merchant Henry Morrish (1804-1892) and the pub’s landlord Thomas Hine (1819-1868). This new company didn’t last long, as Cumberland & Green had sold it by July 1889 to the Bath Brewery Co., who were then joining in with one of the recurrent waves of buying smaller companies. Bath Brewery went itself in the next wave, being bought by Georges of Bristol in 1923, who were in turn swallowed by Courage, Barclay & Simmonds in 1961 …. and so on.

Earlier brewing in Stoke was carried out by the Fisher family in a brewhouse and maltings attached to the big Georgian building called Weir House (once Gloucester House, built in 1783) in Lower Stoke. These were advertised for sale in 1839 with plans to convert them to cottages to plans by the Bath architect John Pinch the Younger. However, the Bradford Tithe Map of 1841 still lists them as ‘Dwelling house, garden with brewery and malthouse’ belonging to brothers John Dike Fisher (1782-1865) and Henry Dike Fisher (1791-1858), great-grandsons of the builder of the house. Another Fisher, George, was also listed as a brewer in Limpley Stoke -he was perhaps another brother (George 1786-1859), although their father was also George (1759-1834).