Old Images: Kennet & Avon Canal

In the Hundred of Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire


Swing bridge, Kennet & Avon Canal

The original swing bridge over the Kennet & Avon Canal, derelict before restoration. The rotting stop gates were used for closing off a length of the canal

Bradford on Avon Upper Wharf c1925 Kennet & Avon Canal

The Upper Wharf of the canal in Bradford’s Frome Road in about 1925, with a wooden horse-drawn barge being prepared for work. Just above the tiny cabin of the barge can be seen the small building which was the lock-keeper’s office. To its right is one of the diamond-shaped cast iron signs that showed the weight limit imposed on the road bridge by the Great Western Railway, the canal’s owner.

George Andrews, the lock keeper c1925, Bradford on Avon Kennet & Avon Canal

George Andrews, standing on the lock gate, was the lock-keeper after the First World War. He had served with the Wiltshire Regiment in Mesopotamia (modern ‘Iraq) during the war and his son had died there. He lived in the house in the background, where his wife Elizabeth ran a small grocery shop and tea room. This is now again a tea room and run by the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust.

Bradford on Avon lock

The upper gate of Bradford Lock, connecting the Lower and Upper Wharves, in a photograph that was taken in about 1910.