.

The Longs Arms public house

South Wraxall, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

The Longs Arms pub, South Wraxall

.

The Longs Arms takes its name from the Longs, a prominent Wiltshire family who held a manor in South Wraxall from the 1420s until the 20th century. A variant of the arms of the Longs is featured on the pub sign, which is on the opposite side of the road.

It already had the name when Bradford on Avon’s tithe apportionment survey was published in 1841, but there are references in the late 18th century to pubs in South Wraxall under other names which may have been earlier names of the same place. The Bath Chronicle newspaper advertised singing competitions, with prizes of silver tableware, at “the sign of the Greyhound” and bell-ringing competitions, with similar prizes, at the King’s Arms, both with “ordinary” dinner served at 1 o’clock. The position of the present Longs Arms near the church with its bells suggests that this was the former King’s Arms. The Greyhound perhaps was in the lower village, where there is a tradition of a one-time cider house.

The building is basically of the late 17th century with gables, built of random rubble stone with ashlar quoins under a stone-tiled roof. Stone mullioned windows of that date remain on the upper floor, blocked at the rear, but the ground floor windows of the front have been replaced with sashes. In the centre is the addition of  a two-storey early 19th century canted bay of cut ashlar stone, with sash windows. It looks as if it had been two houses at one time. The interior, as with most pubs today, has been opened out and otherwise knocked about.

The pub is noted for its cooking and, in 2017, was purchased from the Wadworth brewery by the former tenants.