.

Old Images of Atworth

Atworth, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Atworth church

Atworth parish church at the beginning of the 20th century on a postcard by the Bradford photographer P.E. Andrews of Phoebus Studio in St Margaret’s Street

St Michael's Church, Atworth

Another old postcard of Atworth  shows St Michael and All Angels parish church, mostly hidden behind trees! Only the tower remains of the medieval church, which was a chapel of the parish of Bradford on Avon. The hall-like building alongside dates from 1832. The postcard was published by E.J. Lewington at Atworth’s post office.

Old Tollhouse, Bath Road, Atworth

The old tollhouse at the junction  of Bath and Bradford Roads in a postcard photograph by the Bradford photographer Phoebus Studio in the first decade of the 20th century. The building was where tolls were taken on the turnpike road from Melksham to Box, part of an old route from London to Bath.

Jubilee clock tower, Atworth

As part of the celebration of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897, Atworth built a clock tower. This postcard dates from the 1920s, after a memorial tablet had been added to the tower to commemorate the men of the parish who had served in the Great War of 1914-1918, especially those who had been killed.

.houses near Atworth church

Old houses near the church in Atworth, seen in a photograph from the early 1950s.

Cottles Park, now Stonar School, Atworth

Cottles Park, a Georgian Mansion with an older core, was the main house of a separate area that became amalgamated with Atworth near the end of the 19th century. Since the Second World War it has been Stonar School, which moved here from a requisitioned building in Kent.

Fancy dress for Silver Jubilee celebration, Atworth 1935

A newspaper photograph showing people in fancy dress as part of Atworth’s celebration of King George V’s Silver Jubilee in 1935. The mother was Mrs T. Ellis, the baby Mrs F. Sumsion and the nurse Mr W.G. Ryall.

The Forresters public house

The former Foresters public house at the old village centre. In this 1994 photograph it was called The Forresters (a misspelling?), having re-opened after briefly closing after it had been called The Thirsty Beggar. It has unfortunately now closed for good and is a private house.

The excavations of Atworth Roman Villa in 1938, with a view over the bath house and its under-floor heating.

A group visiting Great Chalfield Manor House

A group of men visiting Great Chalfield Manor House, probably in the 1930s, photographed by Richard Christopher, the Bradford chemist. They may have been members of the Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society.

..

.