Explore Winsley

Winsley, Bradford on Avon,Wiltshire

.

Click on the photographs for a larger view
St Nicholas Church, WinsleyThe church of St Nicholas was a chapel of Bradford parish church. Only the tower of the mediaeval building remains; the body of church was rebuilt as a rectangular hall in 1841. The architect was Richard Shackleton Pope, who designed many of the buildings of Bristol and worked with Isambard Brunel. It was probably not a coincidence that the Chapel Warden at the time was James Baber, whose quarries had supplied stone to Brunel’s Bristol Temple Meads Station.

Winsley School, now Social ClubWinsley was without a school until 1869 when the National School was opened after much fundraising. The expansion of Winsley by new housing estates in the 1960s meant that the size of the school became inadequate and a new school was opened by the County Council in 1972. The old building became Winsley Social Club.

.

Winsley Methodist ChapelWinsley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday School was built in 1902, replacing an older one of which there are some remains up the Drung, the narrow, walled lane behind. It is in a mixture of gothic styles and made of coursed squared rock-faced blocks.

.

.

Winsley Manor HouseWinsley Manor House is away to the east of the village centre. The lower part is from the late 16th or early 17th centuries, with the tall wing on the left being added in the late 19th century. It was divided into three houses, the eastern one for sale in 2019 (details).

..

 

Winsley House, now Dorothy HouseThe present Winsley House building dates from 1902, but replaced an earlier one. There is gateway dated 1637 in the street wall, over which is a carved talbot dog. Sutcliffe School, a special school for boys which relocated from Bath, occupied the house from 1952 to 1991. The present Dorothy House hospice opened here in 1995 and new extensions were built, with more following later.

.

Seven Stars pubThe Seven Stars has been a public house since at least the early part of the 18th century. Like many buildings in Winsley, it then had a thatched roof.

.

.

.

The Wheatsheaf, WinsleyAlthough The Wheatsheaf, now called Wheatsheaf House, sounds like a pub, it seems only to have been a grocery shop. Its Georgian ashlar-faced front is distinguished by a porch supported by doric columns. The left side, with a canted bay, must have been a separate house; its door under a porch has been converted to a window.

.

.

shops, Tyning Road, WinsleyA line of shops was built as part of the development of the Tyning estate in the 1970s. Once there was a hardware shop, a newsagent/grocer and there has also been a bed shop here. Now two are combined in a small supermarket and sub-post office that was briefly a Southern Co-op and the Winsley branch of the Bradford & Melksham Health Centre.

.

.

Hartley Farm, WinsleyHartley Farm with its popular farm shop; during the Covid-19 pandemic the barn on the left was converted into café space

.

.
> Turleigh . . > Avoncliff

     < Back to the previous page