Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Winsley was a part of the Ancient Parish and of the Manor of Bradford and was a Tithing of the Hundred of Bradford. The church of St Nicholas was a chapel of the mother church in Bradford itself. It became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1846; the present Civil Parish of Winsley came into being in 1884.
Most of the parish, which lies immediately to the west of Bradford, is situated on the flattish plateau land on the top of the Cotswold Hills, with steep slopes on the southern and western sides down into the valley of the River Avon. It is bounded on the east by Bradford, on the north by South Wraxall, Monkton Farleigh and Bathford (Somerset) and across the river by Claverton, Monkton Combe (both in Somerset), Limpley Stoke and Westwood.
The present village comprises a tight nuclear old settlement that is centred on the church, then linear piecemeal development along the Bradford Road, followed by a large area of late 20th century planned housing of three or more phases to the north, the Tyning area, enclosed by a bypass road which was completed in the 1990s. Roads connect the village with Bradford, Limpley Stoke and to the outlying hamlets at Avoncliff, Conkwell, Haugh, Murhill and Turleigh.
Winsley’s name probably derives from a clearing (leah) that was associated with an otherwise unrecorded Saxon settler called Wine.
Winsley is a combination of old village and a modern housing estate. It is largely a dormitory for people working in Bath and other places around and has a large retired population. 2,001 inhabitants were recorded by the 2001 Census, falling to 1,920 in 2011.
A short row of shops was incorporated in the 20th century Tyning Road development. Currently two have been combined into a small supermarket and one has been converted to a doctors’ surgery that is run as a branch of the Bradford on Avon Health Centre. A farm shop, including a restaurant and the Willy Good Ale! micro-brewery, operates at Hartley Farm, while Church Farm operates a touring caravan and campsite, both across the bypass. There is one public house: the Seven Stars in the old village centre; the former village school building opposite is now Winsley Social Club.
There is a primary school in Tyning Road; secondary school pupils attend St Laurence School in Bradford. A special school, the Sutcliffe School, occupied for a while the buildings that are now the Dorothy House Hospice.
There is an active and beautifully-sited Cricket Club with a clubhouse built in 2004 near the Manor House. Winsley Bowls Club was founded in in 1903 and has its green and clubhouse near the Seven Stars. Bradford 0n Avon Rugby Club has its ground on the north-west side of the village, beyond the by-pass.
Quarrying was formerly an important industry at Murhill and Conkwell. The largest concerns in Winsley are now the Dorothy House Hospice and the Avon Park Retirement Village (formerly Winsley Sanatorium). Agriculture is still significant, although many of the farmhouses have been sold off and an increasing acreage is being given over to horses.
There is a small railway station at Avoncliff; Winsley is served by bus route 265 between Bradford and Bath.
Winsley Wiltshire history.