Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
Wingfield seems to be included within the bounds of the land that was given with the Manor of Bradford to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001. It continued to be part of the Hundred of Bradford and is still in the Bradford South constituency of Wiltshire Council and part of the recently-created Bradford on Avon Area Board.
Wingfield is an area of flattish land on Oxford Clay, rising to the west on older Middle Jurassic limestones and bounded on that side by the River Frome and in the south by the Swanbrook stream. To the east are Trowbridge and Southwick, to the north Bradford and Westwood; the rest of the border is with parishes in Somerset.
The settlement may have originally been around the church, but the rest seems to be arranged around a large triangle of what may have originally been common.
Today there is no shop, although there is a Shop Lane, no post office and little public transport, but the village retains its (shared) primary school and a public house, The Poplars.
The name may be derived from the field of a Saxon called something like Wine. It was at times written as Winfield; the g in the present form of the name has inserted itself later; another version, Winkfield, frequently appears until the 19th century.
There is a reference in a charter of King Edgar in 954 and places in Wingfield appear to be within the Vill or Manor of Bradford that was granted by Æthelred II to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001, but by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 was in other hands. Wingfield consisted of a number of small manors or holdings with individual and complicated histories.
There was formerly a small settlement and manor at Rowley (also known as Wittenham), of which traces survive as earthworks. It became depopulated with the growth in importance of Farleigh Castle and Rowley ecclesiastical parish was united with Farleigh in Somerset by Act of Parliament in 1428, although the land itself remained in Wiltshire as part of the Bradford Hundred until 1882.
Pomeroy was mentioned in the bounds of Bradford in 1001 and later became a separate manor of scattered parcels of land. Another small manor called Freshaw, somewhere around the later Midway, is now entirely lost.
Stowford is on the River Frome, on the border with Somerset. The first written forms of the name are as Stanford, meaning a stony ford. It is the focus of a number of paths and roads on the Wiltshire side, although none is preserved on the Somerset side. It has a late medieval and Tudor manor house and mill and perhaps declined after Farleigh Castle was built, but it had a career in the woollen cloth industry in the 19th century.