.

Parish Church, Westwood

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

St Mary, Westwood

.

The parish church of Westwood is currently dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, although it was previously to All Saints. It was a chapel of Bradford parish, served by a chaplain, or later a curate, appointed by the Vicar of Bradford, who was also Rector of Westwood. Now it is part of the Benefice of Bradford on Avon Holy Trinity, Westwood and Wingfield which are together served by a Rector.

The oldest part is the rubble stone chancel, which may date from the 13th century. The battlemented perpendicular three-bay nave and north aisle of ashlar were added in the 15th century, probably partly on the foundations of older walls. The tower is the most notable part of the building, with its panelled upper stage and Bristol-style domed stair turret. It belongs to a distinct group of Wiltshire towers that may have been the work of the same masons- Yatton Keynell, Nettleton, West Kington and Devizes St James, inspired perhaps by towers in Somerset. It was paid for by Thomas Horton, clothier of Westwood, Iford and Bradford who died in 1530.

The pulpit is Jacobean, of 1607, but is not an original part of the church, having been brought from Tellisford church in Somerset in the 19th century by Canon Jones, the Vicar of Bradford.