.

Berkley Uncles & Sons, ironfounders etc

.

Trowbridge Road iron foundry

The Trowbridge Road works; Berkley Uncles is in the distance, wearing a straw boater hat

Berkley Uncles (1858-1937) took over the Trowbridge Road works from his former master, when George Milsom retired in 1895. He was a son of James Uncles, a boot and shoe maker and one of Berkley’s brothers, Mark, continued in that line with a shoe shop in Market Street.

Although the works continued to produce many items of cast iron, especially street furniture for the Urban District Council, Berkley Uncles & Sons traded to a large extent in agricultural machinery.

Uncles billhead

After Berkley’s death in 1937 three sons, Nelson Howard, Berkley James and Henry Stanley, continued the business. It closed down in the 1960s.