.

The Sirdar Rubber Company

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

 

Sirdar Rubber factory, Greenland Mills in 1906
.

The Sirdar Rubber Company Ltd. had been founded by 1899 in Paddington, London, with an office in Baker Street. Its main products seem to have been pneumatic tyres and even supplied them to King Edward VII, by Royal Appointment. In 1911 it gained a contract from the War Office for tyres and other rubber articles.

It moved its works in 1905/1906 to Bradford on Avon, where the extensive woollen mills, with all their workforce, had become redundant after the closure of Applegate’s, Bradford’s last woollen cloth company. The Sirdar company retained London as its official address, with depĂ´ts elsewhere in the country too.

However, in February 1914 Sirdar was declared bankrupt. Luckily for Bradford, the Avon Indiarubber Company of Melksham took over the works in the following year to manufacture munitions for the war effort in the Great War, taking on 300 workers.

.

.