.

Health & Hospitals

.

Leigh Park Hotel

Bradford on Avon’s hospital, now Leigh Park Hotel

.

The earliest hospital in Bradford on Avon was probably St Margaret’s leper hospital, the whereabouts of which is not known for sure, but such places were usually sited outside towns and may have preceded the later parish workhouse in Frome Road, or have been where St Catherine’s Almshouse is now, also in Frome Road.

The town’s Carnival Committee raised money for the United Hospital in Bath in the early 20th century, but by the 1940s Bradford was making plans to have its own hospital which opened in Leigh House in 1947, just in time to be nationalised as part of the new National Health Service next year.

A maternity hospital opened in Berryfield House and was used for more than just local births. When Leigh House closed and became a hotel, Berryfield became the local hospital. However, it closed and has now been converted to housing.