Bradford on Avon Co-operative Society

Bradford on Avon Co-operative Society

. Bradford on Avon’s co-op, properly called the Bradford on Avon Industrial & Provident Society Ltd, grew up as part of a nationwide movement in the second half of the 19th century and came to dominate shopping in the town and beyond for a while. It died in the late 20th century.

. The...

Read More

Greengrocers & Fruiterers

Greengrocers & Fruiterers

.

Chief among the greengrocers and fruiterers of Bradford was George Brown, who went on to build up a large business that eventually outgrew its premises and moved to Trowbridge and still exists. The advertisement is from 1911, when he was selling from two of what are now known as Pippet Buildings in Market Street.

Read More

Public Houses in Bradford

Public Houses in Bradford

.

Public houses come and go over the centuries; unfortunately, at the moment it is mostly go. They also have a habit of changing their names at the whim of the owner or publican, which makes for a confusing historical record. Small beer retailers, usually a sideline in a private house, appear in lists and directories; a few of them developed into...

Read More

J. Alex Brown: ironmonger and hardware shop

J. Alex Brown: ironmonger and hardware shop

The shop in Silver Street was started as an ironmonger by John Brown in 1853 and continued under his son John Alexander Brown. It is still known as J. Alex Brown, although it has been under different ownerships.  The Glass and cast-iron fronted building next door was built as an extension to Brown’s business in the late 19th century.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Public Houses & Publicans

The Museum Collection: Public Houses & Publicans

Inn tokens or checks

Tokens came into use in this area in the 1840s, when there was not much small change about. Workers would purchase the tokens when they were paid and use them to buy beer at a later time.

.

A brass token, worth three pence, that was issued by Thomas Holloway at the Lamb Inn, Bradford. The...

Read More

Explore Bradford: Silver Street, southern side

Explore Bradford: Silver Street, southern side

.

The Lamb Factory, beside the Town Bridge, was built in 1917 for the Spencer Moulton rubber company on the site of the old Lamb Inn and a small shop. It is faced with stone, but has a frame utilising an early system of reinforced concrete. It closed like the rest of the factories and has been converted to new uses, including a small...

Read More

The Museum Collection: Carpentry

The Museum Collection: Carpentry

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

.

This small table was made from oak timbers that were removed from Bradford’s ancient  Saxon Church of St Laurence at the time when it was being restored in the 1870s.

.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Gas fittings

The Museum Collection: Gas fittings

.

In the 19th century the gas-fitter’s work was mainly concerned with lighting, with cooking and heating coming on eventually much later. Bradford’s Gas & Coke Works in Frome Road opened in 1834 and initially supplied street lighting, but slowly the network expanded.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Blacksmith

The Museum Collection: Blacksmith

Blacksmiths were common everywhere while there was a need for wrought iron to be shaped for individual purposes, especially of course for making and shoeing horses. The last one with a forge in Bradford was Albert Lailey’s in bridge Street. Today mobile smiths travel to the horse rather than the other way round and art smithing is done in mild steel.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Cobblers and Cordwainers

The Museum Collection: Cobblers and Cordwainers

.

Cordwainers made boots, shoes and other articles from leather and are named after the Spanish city of Córdoba, which was famed for its leather workers. Generally they just referred to themselves as boot and shoe makers. Cobblers were people who repaired...

Read More

Bradford on Avon Co-op

Bradford on Avon  Co-op

 

Bradford-on-Avon Industrial & Provident Society Ltd

At one time Bradford almost seemed to have been ruled by its co-operative society which was founded in 1861. Its shops covered the town and sold every commodity except antiques. The headquarters were in Whitehill, alongside the co-op bakery, while the main shop was in Silver Street. A butcher and...

Read More

Wine, beer and spirit merchants

Chemist shops also sold wine, beer and spirits. The Christopher pharmacy, which is recreated in Bradford on Avon Museum, had a licence to sell alcohol up to the end. The chemists Thomas & Emanuel Taylor in Silver Street gradually turned over to become wine merchants and gave up the chemist side of their business. In about 1880 they opened a big new shop with warehouse behind on the...

Read More

Tailors and outfitters

Read More

Haberdashers

Haberdashers

Haberdashers traditionally sold items related to sewing and tailoring, such as thread, ribbons, buttons, zips and other fastenings. They probably descended from the itinerant peddlers who came to markets and fairs. Goodall’s shop in Silver Street, Bradford sold all these things as well as cloth and made-up clothing. When it closed at the beginning of the 21st century, items of its stock...

Read More

Bakers and Confectioners

Bakers and Confectioners

.

Bakers used to be found on almost every street in the town and villages. The concentration of the trade into large factories means that there is not one operating in Bradford today except for in-store in supermarkets, where dough that has been prepared elsewhere is finished.

Read More

Butchers

The blade of this meat cleaver was made from a piece of Great Western rail for a retiring signalman.

Read More

Grocers

Grocers

Originally a grocer was a merchant who bought goods, usually dry goods like tea, sugar and spices, in bulk for resale in smaller quantities. Gradually bottled and tinned goods were added to the list of goods and grocers’ shops often dealt in candles and corn as well. They frequently called themselves provision merchants.

A grocery business that had one of the...

Read More

Chemists & Druggists

Chemists & Druggists

.

Bradford on Avon Museum’s main exhibit is the reconstructed Christopher chemist shop. There were and are others in Bradford, as well as grocers who sold patent medicines.

. George Marks had set up as a chemist in a big Georgian house near the bridge in Silver Street...

Read More