Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

Bradford’s volunteer firemen turned out for the opening of Bradford Waterworks in 1883, formed part of a procession and demonstrated that the new water supply had enough pressure for them to direct jets from their hoses over...

Read More

The Museum Collection: Public Houses & Publicans

The Museum Collection: Public Houses & Publicans

.

Bradford on Avon Museum, Wiltshire

. Bradford on Avon, Westwood and Holt Inn Tokens or Checks

Tokens came into use in this area in the 1840s, when there was not much small change about. Workers would purchase the tokens when they were paid and use them to buy beer at a later time.

Read More

Old Photographs: Bowls

Old Photographs: Bowls

.

Bradford Rowing Club laid out a two-rink bowling green next to their boathouse for non-rowing members in 1912. The green was enlarged to three, then to four rinks. In 1957 the Rowing Club Bowls Section became Bradford on Avon Bowling Club and in 1966 moved to the new green that was provided on the other side of the river by Wiltshire County...

Read More

Old Photographs: Cricket

Old Photographs: Cricket

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Group photographs of cricket teams seem to be less common than those of football teams.

The Wiltshire Times on 26th June 1880 reported a meeting was held at the Swan Hotel for the purpose of forming a town cricket club.

Read More

The Holt Spa

The Holt Spa

.

Holt, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

The commercial success of spa resorts like Bath and Buxton and on the Continent, like the original Spa in Belgium, inspired the hopeful development of numerous small spas. Taking the waters for...

Read More

Explore Bradford: Silver Street, southern side

Explore Bradford: Silver Street, southern side

.

The Lamb Factory, beside the Town Bridge, was built in 1917 for the Spencer Moulton rubber company on the site of the old Lamb Inn and a small shop. It is faced with stone, but has a frame utilising an early system of reinforced concrete. It was converted to new uses, including a small Budgens (now Co-op) supermarket, housing and a...

Read More

Christ Church graveyard

Christ Church graveyard

Christ Church was built in the 1840s to serve the northern fringes of the town.

.

.

.

.

...

Read More

War Memorials

Memorials to those who died in the two World Wars of the 20th century (1914-1918 and 1939-1945) can be found in several places in Bradford and in the villages. Sometimes the village memorials also list all who served in the forces. Some organisations -churches, clubs, companies- have their own memorials to their members...

Read More

Bradford Notables

Bradford Notables

Stephen Moulton (1794-1880) brought Charles Goodyear’s invention of rubber vulcanisation to England, setting up his factory at Kingston Mill in Bradford on Avon in 1848.

.

.

 

John Moulton (1839-1925) was a son of Stephen Moulton,...

Read More

Holt Road Cemetery, Bradford

Holt Road Cemetery, Bradford

Holt Road Cemetery was set up by the Bradford Improvement Commissioners in 1856 as a non-denominational burial ground to relieve pressure on those in the town under the Burial Act of 1853. The buildings were designed by the Bath architect Thomas Fuller (1823-1886), who was also responsible for Bradford’s Town Hall, buildings in Bath and in Canada.

Below are photographs of some of...

Read More

Old Pictures: Church and Chapel

Read More

Old Photographs: People

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Read More

Old Photographs: Outings

Photographs of groups of Bradford people on day trips. Usually these were held annually and the destination was dictated by the range of the transportation at the time. Stamper’s charabancs in the 1920s had solid tyres and a speed limit of 12 mph, so Salisbury or Wilton were within comfortable reach with time to wander around and visit a few pubs...

Read More

The Museum Collection: Tailors and Outfitters

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Read More

Local Government and Services

Local Government and Services

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

A fireman’s helmet belonging to a volunteer in the Bradford on Avon  fire brigade in the 1930s. During the Second World War a National Fire Service was formed; after it stood down in 1945  a branch of Wiltshire County Council’s Fire Brigade was set up in Bradford. It was, and still is,...

Read More

Old photographs: Events

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Bradford Carnival

Read More

The Museum Collection: Carpentry

The Museum Collection: Carpentry

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

.

This small table was made from oak timbers that were removed from Bradford’s ancient  Saxon Church of St Laurence at the time when it was being restored in the 1870s.

.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Gas fittings

The Museum Collection: Gas fittings

.

In the 19th century the gas-fitter’s work was mainly concerned with lighting, with cooking and heating coming on eventually much later. Bradford’s Gas & Coke Works in Frome Road opened in 1834 and initially supplied street lighting, but slowly the network expanded.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Blacksmith

The Museum Collection: Blacksmith

Blacksmiths were common everywhere while there was a need for wrought iron to be shaped for individual purposes, especially of course for making and shoeing horses. The last one with a forge in Bradford was Albert Lailey’s in bridge Street. Today mobile smiths travel to the horse rather than the other way round and art smithing is done in mild steel.

Read More

The Museum Collection: Schools

The Museum Collection: Schools

Bradford’s Free Grammar School, not as grand as it now sounds, was set up in the Saxon Church 300 years ago in 1712 and lasted until 1903. In the meantime, many private schools came and went and the Nonconformists set up the British Schools in Bradford and the Anglicans set up their own National Schools in town and villages. Secondary schools, Trinity and Fitzmaurice, came in...

Read More