Old photographs: Holt

Old photographs: Holt

.

Holt, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view

J. & T. Beavens’ leather factory (left) in the Midlands, Holt. James Beaven started a leather works in Holt in the early 18th century and the firm began making...

Read More

The Bradford Manor Charter of 1001

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

A copy of the grant by King Æthelred II gives details of the boundary of the manor in 1001

.

The letter ð in the Anglo Saxon text represents a voiced “th”, as in “this”

Read More

The Manor of Bradford

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

In the Saxon period Bradford must have been part of the extensive estates which had been conquered from the British natives following the collapse of Roman rule. They were the property of the King of Wessex in the early days and they lay in a frontier zone with the...

Read More

The Bradford Hundred

The Bradford Hundred

A Hundred was the administrative division below that of the Shire, or County. The name was probably originally related to the area of land nominally required to support a hundred eligible families. Hundreds and Shires came into being in the Saxon period, perhaps as early as the 7th century.

The Bradford Hundred Court was held by the Abbess of Shaftesbury, but was in fact presided over...

Read More

Bradford Hundred Timeline

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

c2000 BC: Early Bronze Age burial at Jugs Grave, Inwood

7th century BC: Early Iron Age Budbury hilfort

late 3rd century: Bradford and Atworth Roman villas built

652: King Cenwalh fought at Bradanforda be Afne

705: A monastery at Bradford...

Read More

Conkwell, Winsley

Conkwell, Winsley

The picturesque hamlet of Conkwell lies on the steep valley side on the western side of Winsley parish. The southern side is in Winsley, but the northern is in the Somerset parish of Bathford. The name suggests a survival of pre-Saxon settlement; the first syllable is probably from the Celtic word cnoc, meaning a hill (see also Knook near Warminster and the Irish Knock).

Read More

Winsley Sanatorium

Winsley Sanatorium

Winsley, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire .

In the 1890s a consortium of health officers from the counties of Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire and Bristol decided that the old quarries at Murhill, Winsley would be the ideal place to site a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis...

Read More

St Nicholas Winsley

St Nicholas Winsley

The church of St Nicholas, Winsley was originally a chapel of Bradford parish church.

Only the tower of the mediaeval building remains; the body of church was rebuilt into a rectangular hall in 1841.

The architect was Richard Shackleton Pope, who designed many of the buildings of Bristol and worked with Isambard Brunel. The Chapel Warden at the time was James Baber, whose...

Read More

Winsley

Winsley

.

Winsley was a part of the Ancient Parish and of the Manor of Bradford and was a Tithing of the Hundred of Bradford. The church of St Nicholas was a chapel of the mother church in Bradford itself. The present Civil Parish of Winsley came into being in 1884.

The site

Most of the parish...

Read More

Wingfield

.

Wingfield seems to be included within the bounds of the land that was given with the Manor of Bradford to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001. It continued to be part of the Hundred of Bradford and is still in the Bradford South constituency of Wiltshire Council and part of the...

Read More

Westwood

Westwood was a separate manor from Bradford, but its church was a chapel of the mother church of Holy Trinity in Bradford. The manor belonged to the Priory of St Swithun in Winchester and was counted as a part of the Bradford Hundred until the 13th century, when the Prior claimed to be free of it. At times and formally from the 16th...

Read More

South Wraxall

South Wraxall

. South Wraxall was a part of the Ancient Parish of Bradford, as well as of the Manor of Bradford and of the Bradford Hundred. The church of St James was a chapel of the mother church of Holy Trinity in Bradford. It became a separate civil parish in 1884, at which time Bradford Leigh and part of Woolley (which were formerly in the Tithing of Leigh...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh Priory

Monkton Farleigh Priory

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

..

A monastery of Cluniac monks dedicated to St Mary Magdalene was founded at Farleigh in 1125 by Humphrey de Bohun II, who died in 1131. He endowed it with the manor of Farleigh and most of it was confirmed by his son Humphrey...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh in Domesday Book

.

There are two entries for property in Monkton Farleigh in Domesday Book:

Brictric holds Farlege  [Monkton Farleigh]. His brother holds it from him.TRE [Tempus Regis Edwardi -in the time of Edward the Confessor] it paid for 5 hides. 4 carucates [ploughlands], 1 carucate in demesne [i the lord’s hands], 4...

Read More

Monkton Farleigh

Monkton Farleigh (frequently written as Farley in the past) lies in the northwest corner of the Bradford Hundred area. Also at its highest point, rising to 200m. On the western and northern sides, steep wooded slopes go down into the valley of the Avon and a tributary, the By Brook, both in Somerset. It has boundaries with...

Read More

Stokeford Bridge

Stokeford Bridge

.

Limpley Stoke and Winsley, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

As a route to Bath, horses could cross the Avon at the ancient Stoke Ford, at the foot of Winsley Hill. In 1731 Thomas Dike of Limpley Stoke and Moses Cottle sr of Winsley, who owned the land on their respective sides, agreed...

Read More

Limpley Stoke

.

Limpley Stoke’s position is anomalous in that it lies entirely on the west side of the River Avon, forming a sharp triangle of Wiltshire that juts into Somerset. It was perhaps left over after various Kings of Wessex and of Anglo-Saxon England had given other...

Read More

Holt

Holt is the next settlement to the east of Bradford. It was formerly a part of the ancient parish of Bradford, of the Manor of Bradford and Hundred of Bradford. A church existed at the beginning of the 12th century and a manor (or sub-manor) of Holt had been created by the 13th century. The modern civil parish of Holt was...

Read More

Atworth

Atworth

Most of the present parish of Atworth was originally part of the Manor and of the Ancient Parish of Bradford and its church was a chapel of Holy Trinity in Bradford. It was also known as Atworth Magna to distinguish it from a smaller area which was called Atworth Parva, Little Atworth or Cottles. The modern Civil Parish of Atworth was created on 19 December 1884 by detaching the...

Read More

Chalfield

Chalfield

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

Great Chalfield and Little Chalfield were two small manors outside the bounds of the Manor of Bradford and did not always strictly fall within the Bradford Hundred, having been sometimes counted in the Hundred of Melksham. Legal matters from Chalfield...

Read More