Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

Bradford’s volunteer firemen turned out for the opening of Bradford Waterworks in 1883, formed part of a procession and demonstrated that the new water supply had enough pressure for them to direct jets from their hoses over...

Read More

Old Photographs: Farming

Old Photographs: Farming

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

 

Building haystacks near the J & T Beaven leather works in Holt.

.

..

.

An...

Read More

Old Photographs: Church Street

Old Photographs: Church Street

 .

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

Bradford commemorated the death of King Edward VII in 1910 with a parade and a service at the parish church. On the right, the buildings of Church Street Mill are unoccupied and windows have been smashed. They were still at...

Read More

Old Photographs: Military & Wartime

Old Photographs: Military & Wartime

. Wiltshire Volunteers

.

K Company cyclists of Wiltshire Volunteers, photographed in 1901 with their Captain, Erlysman Pinckney (seated centre).

.

.

.

Part of...

Read More

Old Photographs: Bowls

Old Photographs: Bowls

.

Bradford Rowing Club laid out a two-rink bowling green next to their boathouse for non-rowing members in 1912. The green was enlarged to three, then to four rinks. In 1957 the Rowing Club Bowls Section became Bradford on Avon Bowling Club and in 1966 moved to the new green that was provided on the other side of the river by Wiltshire County...

Read More

Old Photographs: Cricket

Old Photographs: Cricket

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Group photographs of cricket teams seem to be less common than those of football teams.

The Wiltshire Times on 26th June 1880 reported a meeting was held at the Swan Hotel for the purpose of forming a town cricket club.

Read More

Old Photographs: The Rubber Works

Old Photographs: The Rubber Works

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

Views of the works of the Spencer Moulton rubber company’s Kingston Mills, mostly from just after the First World War.

Click on the thumbnail...

Read More

Old Photographs: People

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Read More

Old Photographs: Outings

Photographs of groups of Bradford people on day trips. Usually these were held annually and the destination was dictated by the range of the transportation at the time. Stamper’s charabancs in the 1920s had solid tyres and a speed limit of 12 mph, so Salisbury or Wilton were within comfortable reach with time to wander around and visit a few pubs...

Read More

Old photographs: Events

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Bradford Carnival

Read More

The Museum Collection: the woollen cloth industry

The Museum Collection: the woollen cloth industry

.

Al the toun of Bradeford stondith by clooth-making -John Leland c1540

Much of Bradford’s past prosperity and many of the fine buildings in the town and vicinity were due to the woollen cloth industry. Visitors who have heard...

Read More

Old Photographs: The Town Bridge

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Click on the thumbnail photographs for a bigger view

Read More

Old Photographs: The Priory

 The Priory was a late medieval mansion with later additions at the upper end of Market Street in Bradford on Avon.

The earliest parts were built in the latter part of the 15th century by Thomas Rogers, who was Sargeant-at-Law, a high-ranking legal official. The house would then have consisted of an open hall with wings at each end and a porch opening on to what is...

Read More

Old Photographs: St Margaret’s Street

Old Photographs: St Margaret’s Street

see St Margaret’s Street today

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view

A flood in St Margaret’s Street with the water reaching right up to number 5. It was probably in the late 1890s. George Bush & Sons were carriage builders at number 4 from the the 1880s until the beginning of the 20th century. The building was...

Read More

Old Images: Silver Street

Old Images: Silver Street

.

Bradford on Avon Museum, Wiltshire

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Walter Henry Willson’s chemist shop, his assistant and sons in the 1890s. It had been opened by George Marks in 1828 and still retained his name above the door after...

Read More

Old Photographs: Newtown

Old Photographs: Newtown

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

Look at Newtown today

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

The Bell Inn as it was in about 1960 complete with its 3-dimensional sign of a bell on a wrought iron bracket. It closed just a few years later and was converted into flats.

Read More

Old Photographs: The Shambles

As one of the most picturesque corners of Bradford on Avon the Shambles figures strongly  in old postcards. This was the area of the medieval market place and would originally have been temporary stalls (Old English scammel) put up for market and fair days. Eventually permanent stalls came, followed by houses. The Market Hall, with Town Hall on the upper floor was on the...

Read More

Old Photographs: Street scenes

Old Photographs: Street scenes

Views of the town’s streets tend to be from postcards or photographs taken by visitors or those interested in the picturesque. Photographs of the Town Bridge and Saxon Church are most popular of course. Images of the less picturesque parts are rare, but these are the most likely to have changed.

Market Street Silver Street The Shambles Church Street The Town...

Read More

Old Photographs: Music and dancing

Old Photographs: Music and dancing

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Click on the thumbnail picture to see a bigger view

Eddie Purnell’s Band performing at a dance at the Assembly Hall of the works of the Royal Enfield company at Westwood during the Second World War. Enfield moved into redundant...

Read More

Old photographs: Work

Old photographs: Work

Click on the thumbnail pictures to get a bigger view

The staff of William Dotesio’s printing works  outside the building in Silver Street in the 1920s. The firm was first Dotesio & Todd, in the 1890s as printers and account book manufacturers of Bradford and of Lowestoft in Norfolk. In the later 20th century, after William’s death in 1947, it...

Read More