Building Bradford in old photographs

Building Bradford in old photographs

.

Bradford on Avon Museum has recently acquired a collection of photographs and other items that relate to the Long family who, through several generations, were responsible for constructing many of the town’s 19th and 20th century buildings, especially Victorian terraces and villas.

.

Read More

Old Photographs: Hunting

Old Photographs: Hunting

.

These three photographs were taken by the chemist Richard Christopher from the upper floor of the building that is now the Dandy Lion public house. They show a meeting of a hunt outside the Town Hall, at the junction of Market Street and Church Street. Some of the population has turned out to see the Duke of Beaufort.

The...

Read More

Greenland Mills

Greenland Mills

The fall of water that is held up by Bradford Weir powered many of the mills and factories of the town. On the southern bank of the River Avon, at the far end of Bridge Street, was a group for factories known as Greenland, presumably so-called because of their relatively distant position from the town centre.

...

Read More

New Acquisition: Holt Football Club

New Acquisition: Holt Football Club

. Among recent items that have entered the collection of Bradford on Avon Museum is this photograph. It is a group record of members of the Holt Football Club and was taken after they won the Trowbridge District League in the season 1906-1907. The club was the earliest to be formed in Wiltshire under Football Association rules, in 1864 and still...

Read More

Old Photographs: Frome Road

Old Photographs: Frome Road

 

Click on the thumbnail pictures to get a bigger view

  .

The Three Horseshoes pub, at the beginning of Frome Road, in the 1890s. Externally at least, little has changed in more than a century; apart from the transport, the main difference is the loss of the large gas lamp.   Read More

Old Pictures: Fitzmaurice Grammar School

Old Pictures: Fitzmaurice Grammar School

Originally founded as the County Technical School with funds from the County Council and local donors, notably Lord Edmond Fitzmaurice, the school was built in Junction Road in Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Year 1897. The architects were Silcock & Reay of Bath; Thomas Ball Silcock jr (1854-1924) was born in Bradford. The...

Read More

Old Photographs: Trowbridge Road

Old Photographs: Trowbridge Road

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

Trowbridge Road looking north towards the centre of town. Avonfield Terrace (built in 1879) is on the right; The other side of the road was, in around 1890, yet to be developed.

 .

.

Read More

Old Photographs: Road Transport

Old Photographs: Road Transport

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

The Bradford Roads Trust tollhouse at Holt in about 1880, around the time when the toll roads were being made free. The schedule of toll charges was painted on the board on the wall of building on the left, which is where the tolls were collected.

Bradford Turnpike...

Read More

Old Photographs: Angling

Old Photographs: Angling

.

The Avon & Tributaries Angling Association dated back to 1876. Bradford on Avon & District Angling Association was formed in 1919 as an offshoot of the Spencer Moulton Sports Club, although an earlier club had existed in 1914. The Association has now been wound up and many of its trophies were donated to Bradford on Avon...

Read More

Old Photographs: Rowing and Sailing

Old Photographs: Rowing and Sailing

.

Bradford on Avon Rowing Club began in 1873 and built a boathouse next to Barton Bridge. Its canoeing arm has recently gained fame after member Ed McKeever gained a gold medal in the 200m kayak  event at the London 2012 Olympics.

Click on the thumbnail pictures to see a larger version

Bradford Rowing Club...

Read More

Old Pictures: Kennet & Avon Canal

Old Pictures: Kennet & Avon Canal

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view The Upper Wharf of the canal in Bradford’s Frome Road in about 1925, with a wooden horse-drawn barge being prepared for work. Just above the tiny cabin of the barge can be seen the small building which was the lock-keeper’s office. To its right is one of the diamond-shaped cast iron signs that showed the weight...

Read More

Old Pictures: South Wraxall

Old Pictures: South Wraxall

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

The parish church of St James, originally a chapel of Bradford’s large ancient parish. The picture is from an old postcard that bears the name of P.E. Andrews, who was operating as a photographer in Bradford in the first decade of the 20th century, later under...

Read More

Old Photographs: Bradford in the 1960s

Old Photographs: Bradford in the 1960s

.

A small collection of black-and-white photographs which belonged to a former Museum Steward and Treasurer. Structurally little has changed since these were taken, but the cars give the date of the pictures -many of which would be regarded as “classic cars” now.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger...

Read More

Old Photographs: The Church Lads’ Brigade

Old Photographs: The Church Lads’ Brigade

The Church Lads’ Brigade was a Church of England organisation that was first set up in 1891. A Bradford on Avon Company had come into existence by 1907 and was associated with Christ Church and with O.P. Skrine. Osmund Percy Skrine (1858-1924) was the seventh son of Henry Duncan Skrine of Warleigh Manor, Bathford and moved to Kingsfield Grove in Bradford in 1905 after a career in Ceylon...

Read More

The Memorial Baths, Bridge Street

The Memorial Baths, Bridge Street

As a memorial for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897, it was decided to erect a building containing a swimming pool and baths, for the many people who then did not have one in their own homes. The site was a shabby area of ramshackle workshops in Bridge Street, next to the Town Bridge- so it would be an exercise in both tidying up an eyesore and providing a new facility. The...

Read More

Old Pictures: Limpley Stoke

Old Pictures: Limpley Stoke

Limpley Stoke, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

Click on the thumbnail pictures for  bigger view

. A lithograph made from a drawing or painting by Bradford artist Elizabeth Tackle in the late 1840s or early 1850s. Browne’s Folly tower, built in 1848, is visible in the distance, but the railway of 1857 was yet to be made. In the...

Read More

Avoncliff Red Cross Hospital

Avoncliff Red Cross Hospital

Westwood, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire . A range of buildings on the Westwood side of Avoncliff, which had been housing for workers at the woollen cloth mill and then the Bradford Poor Law Union Workhouse, became in 1917 a Red Cross Hospital for treating soldiers who were recuperating from wounds from fighting in the Great War. The hospital...

Read More

Old Photographs: Events

Old Photographs: Events

In the photographic record on Bradford in the 20th century are numerous processions and parades. In the days before television and internet, instead of being able to see great events in London, the people would hold their own versions to mark such occasions as royal funerals and coronations. Then there were the locally-grown...

Read More

Old Photographs: Motorcycling

Old Photographs: Motorcycling

. Members of Bradford Motorcycle Club posing for a group photograph in Druce’s Hill, Church Street. Many of them have sidecars for conveying wife/girlfriend and child. No helmets are worn, but most of the drivers have goggles. The date would be after the beginning of 1912, when one of the bikes was registered.

Read More

Holt Leather Industry

.

The J. & T. Beaven leather and glove company was founded, according to tradition, in Holt in 1770, although members of the family seem to have been working leather there for some time before. It became a limited company in 1919 with a capital of £50,000 and operated a wool department until 1954 and leather glove-making...

Read More

Page 1 of 3123