Greengrocers & Fruiterers

Greengrocers & Fruiterers

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Chief among the greengrocers and fruiterers of Bradford was George Brown, who went on to build up a large business that eventually outgrew its premises and moved to Trowbridge and still exists. The advertisement is from 1911, when he was selling from two of what are...

Read More

Canal Quarry, Frome Road

Canal Quarry, Frome Road

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Canal Quarry had a special significance in the history of science. It was one of the places in the area where the Bradford Clay was found and the fossils that were collected there in the early nineteenth century found their way into collections...

Read More

The Hall, Holt Road

The Hall, Holt Road

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

The west front of The Hall, from Conigre Hill

.

The Hall, situated on the eastern outskirts of the town, is one of the most important of Bradford on Avon’s buildings.

A...

Read More

The Memorial Baths, Bridge Street

The Memorial Baths, Bridge Street

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

As a memorial for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897, it was decided to erect a building containing a public swimming pool and baths, for the many people who then did not have...

Read More

Explore Bradford: Conigre Hill-Huntingdon Street

Explore Bradford: Conigre Hill-Huntingdon Street

.

Conigre Hill is part of an ancient line of paths and roads that leads from Church Street via Rosemary Lane to Huntingdon Street and across the fields to Monkton Farleigh and beyond. Conigre is the Wessex word for rabbit warren and there are several localities in Bradford...

Read More

Kelston

.

Kelston, a village on the north-western side of Bath in Somerset, was, like Bradford on Avon, a manor that belonged to the Abbey of Shaftesbury in the Middle Ages. It seems to have been run as a part of the Abbey’s holdings in Bradford, although little contemporary...

Read More

Bradford 1900 Map

Bradford 1900 Map

.

Read More

Churches and Chapels in Bradford

Churches and Chapels in Bradford

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

No remains of a Christian church in the Roman period have yet been found, but it has been suggested that a circular structure built on top of a mosaic floor in the St Laurence School Roman Villa was a...

Read More

Schools in Bradford

Schools in Bradford

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

Schooling was provided by the priest of Thomas Horton’s chantry from 1524 and survived the chantry’s dissolution in 1540, however its funds were appropriated from the Crown in 1559 towards funding a...

Read More

Public Houses in Bradford on Avon

Public Houses in Bradford on Avon

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

Public houses come and go over the centuries; unfortunately, at the moment it is mostly go. They also have a habit of changing their names at the whim of the owner or publican, which sometimes makes for a confusing...

Read More

Bradford 1924 Map

Bradford 1924 Map

The centre of Bradford as mapped by the Ordnance Survey in 1924.

Read More

Old Photographs: Events

Old Photographs: Events

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

 

In the photographic record on Bradford in the 20th century are numerous processions and parades. In the days before television and internet, instead of being able to see great events in London, the people would hold their own versions to mark such occasions as royal funerals...

Read More

Bradford Quarries

Bradford Quarries

.

Stone quarries can be found all round Bradford town, including extensive underground workings.

.

Bridge Street Quarry had an area of open working, with an adit that went into the hillside under St Margaret’s Hill. These workings must have been cut through by...

Read More

Bradford Voices

Bradford Voices

.

A new edition of the oral history book “Bradford voices” by Margaret Dobson has been published. It has been expanded to cover the years from 1997, when the previous version came out, and the first decade of the 21st century and contains many new illustrations including several from Bradford on Avon Museum’s collection.

It...

Read More

J. Alex Brown: ironmonger and hardware shop

J. Alex Brown: ironmonger and hardware shop

.

Silver Street, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

.

The shop in Silver Street was started as an ironmonger in what had been a Georgian house by John Brown in 1853 and continued under his son John Alexander Brown (1863-1937). It is still known...

Read More

Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

Old Photographs: Fire Brigade

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

Bradford’s volunteer firemen turned out for the opening of Bradford Waterworks in 1883, formed part of a procession and demonstrated that the new water supply had enough pressure for them to direct jets from their hoses over...

Read More

Old Photographs: Church Street

Old Photographs: Church Street

 .

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

Bradford commemorated the death of King Edward VII in 1910 with a parade and a service at the parish church. On the right, the buildings of Church Street Mill are unoccupied and windows have been smashed. They were still at...

Read More

Old Photographs: Bowls

Old Photographs: Bowls

.

Bradford Rowing Club laid out a two-rink bowling green next to their boathouse for non-rowing members in 1912. The green was enlarged to three, then to four rinks. In 1957 the Rowing Club Bowls Section became Bradford on Avon Bowling Club and in 1966 moved to the new green that was provided on the other side of the river by Wiltshire County...

Read More

Old Photographs: Cricket

Old Photographs: Cricket

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Group photographs of cricket teams seem to be less common than those of football teams.

On 26th June 1880 The Wiltshire Times  reported a meeting was held at the Swan Hotel for the purpose of forming a town cricket club.

Read More

Bradford Manor Map

Bradford Manor Map

.

 

The area that was included in the Manor of Bradford that was given by King Æthelred II to Shaftesbury Abbey in 1001 is within the thick line. The dashed lines are the boundaries of the present parishes.

Click on the thumbnail picture for a bigger...

Read More