Wine, beer and spirit merchants
Chemist shops also sold wine, beer and spirits. The Christopher pharmacy, which is recreated in Bradford on Avon Museum, had a licence to sell alcohol up to the end. The chemists Thomas & Emanuel Taylor in Silver Street gradually turned over to become wine merchants and gave up the chemist side of their business. In about 1880 they opened a big new shop with warehouse behind on the opposite side of the road. Several beer bottles and stoneware jars of various sizes from Taylors’ shop are on display in the Museum.