Atworth Roman Villa

.
Atworth Roman VillaA large Roman villa was discovered by ploughing in the 1930s in the north of Atworth parish, close to the London-Bath Roman road. Some excavations were carried out in 1937 and in 1938, uncovering the east wing and part of the main house on the northern side of a wide courtyard. More excavations took place in the years 1970 to 1975 which uncovered more of the main buildings and another building to the southwest.

.

.

.

The photographs here were taken in 1938 by Richard Christopher, the chemist whose shop is now displayed in Bradford on Avon Museum. They show rooms at the southern end of the east wing, with a stone staircase and a late bath house at the southern end, heated by a hypocaust (under the floor).

 

Atworth Roman Villa excavations 1938Atworth Roman Villa excavations 1938Atworth Roman Villa excavations 1938

.

References

Mellor, A. Shaw & Goodchild, R. 1942. The Roman villa at Atworth, Wilts. Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society Magazine 49, pp. 46-95.

Henig, Martin 1983. The gemstone from Atworth roman villa. Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society Magazine 77, pp. 145-146.

Erskine, Jonathon G.P. & Ellis, Peter 2008. Excavations at Atworth Roman villa, Wiltshire 1970-1975. Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society Magazine 101, pp. 51-129

     < Back to the previous page