Bradford Hundred Timeline

c2000 BC: Early Bronze Age burial at Jugs Grave, Inwood

7th century BC: Early Iron Age Budbury hilfort

late 3rd century: Bradford and Atworth Roman villas built

652: King Cenwalh fought at Bradanforda be Afne

705: A monastery at Bradford mentioned by St Aldhelm

709: Death of St Aldhelm

955: King Eadred granted the Manor of Bradford to Nunnaminster (Priory of St Mary), Winchester

957: King Edgar held a Great Witan at Bradford

983: King Æthelred II granted Westwood to his thegn Alfnoth

987: King Æthelred II granted Westwood to Leofwine

1001: King Æthelred II gave the Manor of Bradford to Shaftesbury Abbey

1002: King Æthelred II granted Westwood to Queen Emma

1043: Queen Emma granted Westwood to the Priory of St Swithun, Winchester

1080: Domesday Survey listed property for King William I

c1125: Foundation of Monkton Farleigh Priory

1205: Charter of King John restored and confirmed the Hundred of Bradford

1216, August: King John visited Bradford

1235: St Margaret’s Leper Hospital founded in Bradford

1280: The Abbess of Shaftesbury claimed a fair at Bradford over the Feast of Holy Trinity

1281: King Edward I unsuccessfully claimed the Manor of Bradford

1295: Bradford sent two members to Edward I’s Parliament

1348: The Black Death plague -huge loss of life

1349: Vicarage of Bradford ordained

1361: Second attack by the Black Death

1400: Pope Boniface IX appealed for donations to repair the Town Bridge

1530: Death of Thomas Horton, clothier of Iford and Bradford

1536: Dissolution of Monkton Farleigh Priory

1539: Dissolution of Shaftesbury Abbey

1540: Visit of John Leland to Bradford

1541: Dissolution of St Swithun’s Priory, Winchester; Westwood granted to Winchester Cathedral

1609: Outbreak of plague

1643 July: Royalist troops under Sir Ralph Hopton crossed the river at Bradford and headed north

1646: Outbreak of plague

1659: Flemish spinners and weavers settled in Bradford by Paul Methuen

1674: More Flemish spinners and weavers settled in Bradford by William Brewer

1688: Mineral water discovered at Holt

1698: The Grove Meeting House, Middle Rank, Bradford opened

1700: Hall’s Almshouses built

1712: Bradford Grammar School founded

1718: Quaker Meeting House built, St Margaret’s Street, Bradford

c1725: Packhorse Bridge, Broughton Gifford built

1726: Riot by weavers against working conditions

1731: Stokeford Bridge built

1739 July: John Wesley preached to 1000 at Bearfield

1742 April: fire destroyed several houses in Bradford

1752: First Bradford Roads Act- roads to Monkton Combe, Steeple Ashton, Staverton, Cockhill

1762: Bradford Roads Act- road to Melksham and Lacock

1769: John Renison first postmaster

1777: Bradford Roads Act- road to Kingsdown

1787, February: Riot by narrow-cloth weavers in Bradford and elsewhere

1791, May: Luddite riot in Bradford with three deaths

1792: Bradford Roads Act- road to Bathford (Bath Road)

1792: Violent wind damaged church roof and other buildings

1794: Kennet Avon Canal begun at Widbrook

1810: Kennet & Avon Canal completed from Reading to Bath

1818: Coppice Hill Wesleyan Chapel built in Bradford

1823: Zion Chapel, Conigre Hill, Bradford opened

1826: Riot in Bradford over food prices

1828: Atworth School built

1830: Bradford British Nondenominational School opened

1831: Local Board of Health set up

1832: Bradford Poor Law Union set up, with workhouse at Avoncliff

1832: Black Dog Turnpike Trust- Bath to Warminster

1832: St Michael’s church, Atworth rebuilt (except for the tower)

1834: Gas works opened in Frome Road, Bradford

1835 July: Chartist meeting at Holt; September: at Trowle Common

1839: Bradford Improvement Act: Town Commissioners inaugurated

1836: Bradford National School opened

1841: Last Bradford Roads Act- road to Wingfield

1841: Tithe Apportionment Map of Bradford Parish published

1841: South Wraxall and Westwood National Schools opened

1841: Christ Church built

1841: St Nicholas’ church, Winsley rebuilt (except the tower)

1847: Christ Church National School opened

1848: Bradford station built by Wilts Somerset & Weymouth Railway Co.

1848: Stephen Moulton started manufacturing rubber in Bradford

1852: Several episodes of flooding

1855: Bradford Town Hall opened

1856: Holt Road Cemetery opened

1857: Bradford-Bathampton and Holt-Devizes branch railways opened

1863: Thatched properties in Winsley destroyed by fire

1863: Chemist shop set up (now in Museum)

1869: St Catherine’s Almshouses rebuilt

1870: The telegraph reached Bradford

1873: Holt Reading Rooms opened

1873: Bradford Turnpike Roads abolished

1876: Westwood became a separate parish

1878: Christ Church Infant School, Bradford opened

1882 October: Flood

1883: Bradford Waterworks opened

1884: A great storm in December- the Ham tree in Holt blown down

1884: Holt, Limpley Stoke, South Wraxall and Atworth became separate civil parishes

1891: The Moulton Rubber Company merged with that of George Spencer of London

1891: St Katherine’s church, Holt rebuilt (except for the tower and porch)

1894 July: Bradford on Avon Urban District formed

1894 November: flood

1895 February: River Avon frozen for 3 miles above Bradford

1896: Trinity School opened

1897: Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee- Bradford Baths, Atworth clock tower built

1897: County Technical School (later Fitzmaurice Grammar School) opened

1898: National Telephone Co. exchange

1901: First phase of Bradford Post Office built

1903: Flood in June

1903: Bradford’s Free Grammar School closed

1903: Harold Peto purchased Iford Manor estate

1903: Building of Winsley Sanatorium begun (opened 1905)

1905: Applegate’s cloth mill at Greenland closed, the last woollen factory

1905: Broughton Gifford railway halt opened

1906 July: Avoncliff railway halt opened

1907: Bradford sewage works opened

1908: Richard Christopher took over the chemist shop

1910: Camerton to Limpley Stoke branch railway built

1911: Bradford Urban and Bradford & Melksham Rural District Councils formed

1914: G. & T. Spencer Ltd brewery voluntarily liquidated

1917: Bradford Union Workhouse at Avoncliff closed and became a Red Cross Hospital

1920: Wilkins Brothers & Hudson brewery, Newtown, Bradford and its pubs sold to Ushers

1922 August: War memorial dedicated

1923: Public library opened in Bradford by Wiltshire County Council

1925: Death of John Moulton

1926 January: Flood

1933: Mains electricity reached Atworth

1934: Boundary changes, Bradford Without abolished and shared out among the parishes and UDC

1935 November: Flood

1936: Post Office extended

1937 February: Flood

1939: Bradford Maternity Hospital opened at Berryfield House

1939: Stonar School moved from Sandwich, Kent to Cottles House, Atworth

1943: The Courts, Holt given to the National Trust by Major T.C.E. Goff

1943: Great Chalfield Manor House and land given to the National Trust

1947: Bradford & District Hospital opened at Leigh House

1947 March: Melting snow, heavy rain caused flooding. August: Granby Hotel fire

1955: Broughton Gifford railway halt closed

1956: Spencer Moulton rubber company taken over by Avon; new Christ Church School opened

1957 March: The Great House at Holt demolished

1958: Willson’s chemist shop, Silver Street demolished

1960 December: Flood

1962: The Moulton bicycle launched; Marcos cars set up in Greenland Mills

1962-3: Hard winter, heavy snow

1963 November: Gale, flood

1966: Holt Junction and Limpley Stoke railway stations closed

1968 July: Heavy rain, sudden flood

1974 January: Bradford Urban District and Bradford & Melksham Rural Districts succeeded by West Wiltshire District Council

1976: Westwood with Iford School opened

1979 December: Flood

1986 May: The Christopher pharmacy closed; Museum Society formed

1988: Bradford Co-op closed

1990 September: Bradford on Avon Museum opened

1991: Dowty engineering at Atworth closed

1995: Dorothy House Hospice opened in Winsley

2000: Flood

2000: Millennium celebrations (a year early!), “Millie” statue set up in Bradford

2003: Flood

2012 November: Flood

2013 Christmas: Flood

 



     < Back to the previous page