Great Chalfield and Little Chalfield were two small manors outside the bounds of the Manor of Bradford and did not always strictly fall within the Bradford Hundred, having been sometimes counted in the Hundred of Melksham. Legal matters from Chalfield were brought to the Bradford Hundred Court by those who were called the “Abbess’s foreigners”. The Chalfields became part of the Bradford Hundred in the reign of King John.
The derivation of the placename is from chaldfeld -cold field.
Great Chalfield was a small parish in its own right, with its surviving church of All Saints and mill next to the Manor House.
Little (or West) Chalfield also counted as a separate parish, although it was very small; it had a chapel that was dedicated to St John the Baptist, but of which there is now no trace. The medieval manor house has been replaced by a Georgian building.
Great Chalfield and Little Chalfield became joined to Cottles (Atworth Parva or Little Atworth) and Atworth (Atworth Magna) in 1884 to form the present Civil Parish of Atworth.
Chalfield in Domesday Book
Arnulf holds Chalfield himself. Waltheof held in the time of King Edward. It paid for two and a half hides. 2 carucates of which one and a half hides are in demesne, one carucate there with one serf. 4 borderers, Half a mill pays 18 pence. meadow 6 acres; wood 6 acres; pasture 8 acres. It was valued at £4, now 50 shillings.
He holds such land in this vill as one manor. Godwin held it TRE. He has as much as contained above, it is assessed as much.