Avoncliff Halt

A halt was opened by the Great Western Railway on the Winsley side of Avoncliff on 9th July 1906. There had previously been a siding for stone from Westwood Quarry on the other side of the aqueduct.
Somehow it was not closed in the 1960s, when so many others were axed, largely because it was impractical to replace it with a bus route. Local people in period costume celebrated its 150th anniversary.
It serves the hamlet itself, Westwood and Winsley, but is much used by visitors to the Cross Guns pub and those who come to enjoy walking in the area, fishing and the Kennet & Avon Canal.
Trains between Bristol and Bath to Bradford, Frome and Weymouth stop by request.

The station handled 15,774 passengers in the financial year 2008-2009, 18,284 in 2011-2012, 19,948 in 2015-2016.

     < Back to the previous page