Old Pictures: South Wraxall

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

South Wraxall ChurchThe parish church of St James, originally a chapel of Bradford’s large ancient parish. The picture is from an old postcard that bears the name of P.E. Andrews, who was operating as a photographer in Bradford in the first decade of the 20th century, later under the name of Phoebus Studios in Trowbridge Road. Nothing has changed in the view today.

.

South Wraxall Manor House, gatehouse and south wingMost old pictures of South Wraxall are of the Manor House. This view is of the south front, seen fromacross the pond. The gatehouse is on the left and leads into the courtyard. The view from the road is not available today, having been shut out by a high hedge.

.

.

South Wraxall Manor HouseThe courtyard of the Manor House with the gatehouse on the right and the Great Hall and big window of the Drawing Room on the left.

.

.

.

South Wraxall Manor HouseAn earlier view of the old range of South Wraxall Manor House, an engraving by G. Hollis that was published in the Gentleman’s Magazine in 1838.

.

.

 

South Wraxall Manor House, Great HallThe interior of the Great Hall of the Manor House showing the fine furniture that had belonged to Richardson Cox and was auctioned in 1935.

.

.

.

South Wraxall Manor House, Drawing RoomThe interior of the Drawing Room of South Wraxall Manor House, called the Ball Room on this old photograph.

.

.

See more about the Manor House

K Company cycle corpsMembers of K Company, Wiltshire Volunteers cyclists with their Captain, Erlysman Pinckney (seated centre) outside his home, South Wraxall Lodge in the Lower Village, in 1901.

     < Back to the previous page