Explore Wingfield

Wingfield, Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Click on the thumbnail photographs for a larger view

.

Wingfield ChurchThe only remaining medieval part of the Parish Church of St Mary is the 15th century battlemented west tower, with pierced stone bell chamber windows. The rest was rebuilt in the 18th century and a north extension that houses the organ and vestry was added in 1861. It is all faced in ashlar stone and roofed with stone tiles, except for Welsh slate on the chancel.

.

Wingfield Church interiorThe interior of the church has an 18th century ‘gothick’ nave window and is under coved plaster ceilings; the chancel ceiling has a rosette in each panel. The building work was probably carried out in 1732. The pews have doors, like earlier box-pews, but combined with late gothic style decoration.

.

.

Church Farm, WingfieldNext to the church is Church Farm. The big farmhouse, of rubble stone, gabled, with stone mullioned windows under relieving arches is dated 1636. The buildings around the farmyard no longer have agricultural functions, but have been converted to housing.

,

,

Wingfield SchoolAlong Church Lane is Wingfield School, a single-storey building with windows in 16th century perpendicular gothic style. It was designed in 1849 and opened in 1852. Since then it has been extended at the back and a further building added beyond. Since 2001 it has been part of what is called the Mead School, sharing facilities and name with a new school on the Paxcroft housing development in Hilperton.

.

Church Lane leads from the Bradford to Rode Turnpike road. The recent development called Moore’s Yard is on the site of the timber yard that was run by the Moore family.

.

The Poplars, WingfieldLying back from the Turnpike, opposite Church Lane and just off Shop Lane is The Poplars public house. Besides its beer from Wadworth of Devizes and its food, a major attraction is that the village cricket ground is on the same site. From 1880 until the 1920s it was run by George Tucker Couch, who died in 1923 and is buried in the churchyard. It was sold in the following year to Wadworth’s Brewery of Devizes.

 

Wingfield House, at the crossroads, was begun in the 18th century, but most of what can be seen today is in 19th century gothic style. The extensions were done for the Caillard family, who were the largest landowners and lords of the manor. It was a hospital during the First Worlfd War. In 1935 Bernard Caillard and his wife gave it to the Waifs & Strays Society in memory of their daughter Margaret, who had died at 20. The Margaret Caillard Memorial Home for Boys held 30 boys, but it only lasted until 1938 and the house was requisitioned, again, by the army during WW2. The house and its outbuildings were divided into four residential properties after the war.

Trowle House was formerly Wingfield Green or just The Green. It was built in the 17th century and belonged to the Wadman family until 1806.  It was the home of John Bayfield Clark, a woollen cloth manufacturer of Trowbridge, from 1854 until his death in 1898 and he added new wings and conservatory. 

.

Shrapnel shell, gate of Midway Manor, WingfieldNorth of Wingfield, well on the way to Bradford, Midway Manor lies back from the road. Its gate piers are topped with four cannonballs, which represent the exploding shells that were invented by General Henry Shrapnel, who lived there. The gate piers are also carved with the shells and with the names of battles that were won using them. Shrapnel left the place to go and live near Southampton and the present house was built in 1893 by a later owner, Henry Summers Baynton.

.

Stowford Farm, WingfieldStowford, in the northwest of the parish, is a hamlet of old buildings with a mixture of modern uses. Stowford farmhouse, now known as Stowford Manor, has 15th century origins with Tudor and later additions. A mill powered by the River Frome was used for fulling cloth and leased to to the Abbey of Keynsham in the Middle Ages  was rebuilt in the 1840s and converted to milling corn, but now a bed-and-breakfast. Some buildings have been converted to studios for art and crafts and there is a campsite.

 

 

     < Back to the previous page