Greengrocers & Fruiterers

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

George Brown, greengrocer, advertisement 1911Chief among the greengrocers and fruiterers of Bradford was George Brown, who went on to build up a large business that eventually outgrew its premises and moved to Trowbridge and still exists. The advertisement is from 1911, when he was selling from two of what are now known as Pippet Buildings in Market Street.

 

.

A. Davis & Sons trade cardA trade card from Davis & Sons, who combined being greengrocers with fishmongers, with shops in Market Street and Silver Street. The firm was established in 1895, so this card is from the 1930s. Later in the 20th century they had another shop at 4 Shambles, where a doorstep sign remains. In the 1950s A. Davis & Sons (Bradford-on-Avon) Ltd had shops in Trowbridge and Westbury as well.

.

A. Davis & Sons, greengrocer, Shambles

The firm may have started with John Davis, who was a farmer in Bradford Leigh in the 1860s and was selling greengrocery and dairy produce at a shop in the Shambles.

     < Back to the previous page