Holt Leather Industry

.

The J. & T. Beaven leather and glove company was founded, according to tradition, in Holt in 1770, although members of the family seem to have been working leather there for some time before. It became a limited company in 1919 with a capital of £50,000 and operated a wool department until 1954 and leather glove-making until 1956. It was taken over by Pittard Garner of Yeovil in 1970, the bicentenary year.

J. & T. Beaven Ltd still exists, as one of the major suppliers of chamois leather, among other car care products, in Holt and Belgium and Germany, but manufacture is not continued at Holt.

> J. & T. Beaven Ltd website

.

> Holt village pages

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a larger view

.

 

     < Back to the previous page