Garages

.

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.
Stamper's Garage advertisement 1923Stamper's Garage advertisement

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Gerald Stamper had his garage in the yard that is now the St Margaret’s car park, in buildings that had been part of the wool dyeworks that centred on the present St Margaret’s Hall. As well as selling and servicing cars, Stamper also ran charabancs and, later, coaches to take Bradfordians on outings. The company was taken over and run as a part of the E.W. Stone garage.

billhead, Stampers Garage, Bradford on Avon

 

Perkins & Keates advertisement 1911Charles Perkins and Donald Keates had in 1914 run a bicycle shop at 2 St Margaret’s Street, the building that had formerly been the Queen’s Head Inn. Moving up the hill to 42 they took on work on cars at The Central Garage, becoming D.R. Keates,  An opening was made in the front of the building for cars to reach a workshop behind. This was filled in when the garage moved and the building is now the Grocery Basket shop..

.

.

 

Keates' Garage, Frome Road

.Expansion of Keates’ Garage took place on what had been a timber yard in Frome Road. Here a large workshop was built, although some older buildings remained, and there was a dealership for Skoda cars. Keates also had coaches and ran the cars for Bowyer’s funeral undertakers.

..

.


Colour Developments, Frome Road.

The former timber yard in Frome Road was shared with Colour Developments, a car body repair and paint-spraying company.

In 2006, both companies closed and the buildings were demolished to make way for a housing development.

.

.


E.W. Stone's Garage, 1920sEdward William Stone founded the Station Garage in 1910 at the entrance to the station approach road. He died in 1940 and the company continued and expanded under members of the King and Moore families, with a large workshop and showrooms on both sides of the road. It closed in 2003 and the showroom is now a fish & chip restaurant.

.

.

Saxon Garage advertisementJack Merrett’s New Road Garage was at the junction of Woolley Street, Springfield and New Road and its premises included the old hut that had been the headquarters of the Church Lads Brigade and the Christ Church Crusaders football team. In later years it was known as the Saxon Garage and, although the garage has gone and new houses have been built there, a petrol station with a small shop remains.

.

There is another petrol station and garage in Trowbridge Road, where there is a small shop.

.

.

Winsley had a garage until the 1980sWinsley Garage advertisement. Winsley Garage was situated on the southern side of Bradford Road, near the Dane Rise crossroads. After it closed the land was redeveloped for housing, the present Lindisfarne Close.

 

.

There was once a petrol station next to what is now called the Tollgate pub in Holt, now the showroom of Pietra Stone. A used car business, Village Green Garage, is still open on Ham Green.

The Bear garage and petrol station still exists on the main Melksham to Bath road in Atworth and contains a small shop with post office.

.

.

     < Back to the previous page