Explore Monkton Farleigh

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire

.

Click on the photographs for a larger version

.
St Peter's Church, Monkton FarleighSt Peter’s parish church has a 12th century Norman romanesque south door and a plain 13th century west tower with hogsback roof. The rest was rebuilt in 1844 by the London architect T.H. Wyatt (1807-1880). In the churchyard are graves of members of the Hobhouse family.

.

.

82 Monkton FarleighNear the church No. 82 is a four-bay house that is dated 1736, but has a shell hood over the door in the fashion of around 1700.

.

.

.

Monkton Farleigh Manor HouseMonkton Farleigh Manor House is a large early Georgian building of seven bays with numerous later alterations and additions. It incorporates fragments of the Cluniac Priory of St Mary that was founded here in 1125 and gives the name Monkton to the village.

.

.

The Avenue, Monkton FarleighThe Manor faces across views that stretch to the Vale of Pewsey and Salisbury Plain. The Avenue was made across farmland for 2 km to take advantage of the position of the house and reaches South Wraxall.

.

.

..

The Monks' Conduit, Monkton FarleighThe little building standing alone in a field north of the Manor House is the Monks’ Conduit. It was the water supply for the medieval priory and dates from the 14th century, although the stone roof was rebuilt in 1784.

.

.

.

The King's Arms, Monkton FarleighOn the northern side of the village is the King’s Arms public house, briefly known as the Muddy Duck, because of ties to another of that name in Oxfordshire. It consists of a main building with a two-storey porch and a wing at right angles. The third side of the courtyard in front belongs to a building of the farmyard next door.

.

 

The Fox & Hounds, Farleigh WickThe other public house in Monkton Farleigh parish is the Fox and Hounds, which is in the outlying hamlet of Farleigh Wick, on the Bradford to Bath road.

.

.

.

Inwoods houseThe big house called Inwoods is located at the edge of woods to the south of Farleigh Wick. It was built as a hunting lodge as part of the estate that belonged to the Skrine family of nearby Warleigh in Bathford, Somerset and was extended in the 1890s-1900s. Inwoods was separated from Warleigh in the 1920s and belonged to the Whitehead family since then. Following the death of Dr Denis S. Whitehead, the house and estate of 300 acres were offered for sale in 2015.

.

.

.

     < Back to the previous page