Explore Broughton Gifford

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for bigger view
St Mary's Church, Broughton Gifford

Now situated on the southern edge of the village, St Mary’s Church has a west tower in 15th century perpendicular style, while the body is 13th century Early English gothic with an arcade on the north of the nave. A south chapel was added c1300 and next to it the perpendicular style south porch, which originally had an upper storey.

.

Manor House, Broughton GiffordNorth from the church and old nucleus, the village continues along a long winding street towards the Common. At the junction with Mill Lane is Broughton Gifford Manor House which is all steep gables and mullioned windows, is dated 1622 and was built for Sir John Horton.

.

.

The Fox [& Hounds] pub, Broughton GiffordThe Fox & Hounds public house started as a row of three 17th century houses of rubble stone with mullioned windows, under a roof of stone tiles. After a period of closure, it re-opened abbreviated as The Fox. Another closure in 2016, its name changed again in mid 2017 to The Rusty Stag, a restaurant rather than pub and closed again at the end of the year.

.

Chapel, Broughton GiffordThe Methodist Chapel was built in 1907 of coursed squared rock-faced stone blocks with ashlar used on the buttresses and lancet-style windows.

.

.

.

Hollybrook House, Broughton GiffordHollybrook House is a late Georgian house of three bays and three floors, with two-storey single bays on each side. It is all faced in ashlar; only the left side has a stone-tiled roof.

.

.

.

The Bell on the Common, Broughton GiffordThe Common is a triangular area of former waste -low value land- that is surrounded by what was originally a squatter settlement, but now quite desirable.

The Bell on the Common public house seems to have begun as a short rank of houses.

.

.

Primitive Baptist Chapel, Broughton Gifford CommonThe neat building in the form of a cube with pyramid slate roof next to the Bell was built as a Particular Baptist Chapel in 1806.

.

.

.

Gifford Hall, Broughton Gifford CommonAt the far end of the Common is Gifford House, a five-bay house of two storeys and attic under a hipped roof covered with stone tiles. Its windows are surrounded by bolection-mouldings, typical of a building dating from about 1700. It was built for William Harding.

     < Back to the previous page