Explore Bradford: White Hill and Sladesbrook

.

White Hill is the old road that led from Silver Street northwards towards South Wraxall and Atworth. From the top of the hill, its line continues as Sladesbrook, which is named after a small stream which flows, underground these days, down to the Avon. Today the road, the B3109, leads to Corsham to join the A4 London-Bath road.

There were some shops in Sladesbrook- H.W. & W.B. Wilkinson had a combined grocery and draper’s shop called Sladesbrook Stores in the 1950s and 1960s. A fish and chip shop called The Admiral’s Cabin flourished into the 1990s.

.

The former King's Head public house, White HillNot far up White Hill is the building that used to be the King’s Head public house (number 13). It was recorded in 1842, but it  ceased serving in 1961 and by 1963 had become a private house.

.

.

.

Martins, Whitehill, Bradford on Avon 1936The mid-19th century double-fronted house called Martins is set back from Whitehill down a short lane. This photograph was taken by the chemist Richard Christopher in 1936. The tower and spire of Christ Church is in the background on the left.

.

.

.

Sladesbrook ChapelSladesbrook Chapel was built for a breakaway group of Primitive Methodists in 1845 (the date is carved in the  top of the gable). As a chapel it didn’t last long, folding sometime between 1885 and 1890 and it had become a temperance hall by 1899. It was used for a while as a schoolroom for nearby Christ Church School before its new buildings opened in 1956. It has now been converted into a house.

.

.

Sladesbrook millBehind the first houses on the right in Sladesbrook is the building that was Sladesbrook Mill, a small factory that was involved in the woollen cloth industry. After some years in a semi-derelict state, it has been converted into a house.

.

.

.

The line of the road continues to > Bradford Leigh

.

     < Back to the previous page