Explore Bradford: Beasor Street

St Margaret’s Street, Morgan’s Hill (St Margaret’s Hill), St Margaret’s Place

.

Besoar StreetBeasor Street (also written Besoar and even Bazaar) is the old name for the stretch of what is now St Margaret’s Street between the almshouses and Junction Road; it was changed when the name St Margaret’s Street became diverted from what is now called Frome Road in the late 19th century. In fact the naming is more complicated than that, because the houses beyond the railway bridge are numbered from 1 Trowbridge Road.

.

.

Morgan's Hill Chapel

The big chapel that is now the United Reform Church was formerly Morgan’s Hill Independent Chapel. The large square hall is mostly plain, but relieved by the outline of a roundel and pediment; it is topped by a pyramidal roof. To the left is a wing that holds the Sunday School. Three 17th century houses that stood along the road in front were demolished in the 1960s, along with others in the area.

 

 

Frenchgrass HouseMorgan’s Hill is now called St Margaret’s Hill and leads up to the area that was known as Frenchgrass; frenchgrass is an alternative name for sainfoin, Onobrychis viciifolia, a leguminous plant that was grown for improving soil by fixing nitrogen in its roots.


At the top of the hill is a five-bay, three-storey house under three hipped roofs.

 

Morgan Lodge, Morgan's Hill

Morgan Lodge is a typical late 17th century house, except for the baroque centre and some unusual stone roundels. A carved stone in the round central gable gives the date 1696 and initials WBA; beneath that are the remains of a sundial. It luckily escaped the destruction of old houses in this area in the 1960s.

 

 

St Margaret's PlaceSt Margaret’s Place is a narrow alley, once known as Bush’s Alley,  leading from Besoar Street and, since 1847, facing the railway cutting and the mouth of the railway tunnel. There is a mixture of late 17th century and early 18th century houses.

 

 

     < Back to the previous page