Local Government and Services

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view.

Fireman's helmetA fireman’s helmet belonging to a volunteer in the Bradford on Avon¬† fire brigade in the 1930s. During the Second World War a National Fire Service was formed; after it stood down in 1945¬† a branch of Wiltshire County Council’s Fire Brigade was set up in Bradford. It was, and still is, manned by volunteers and was based in old buildings where St Margaret’s car park now is.

> Old photographs of Bradford Fire Brigade

.

.

Police handcuffsThese rusty old police handcuffs were part of the equipment of Pc Rendell in about 1918. Bradford’s police force was based at the Town Hall in Market Street.

.

.

.

.

Dog fouling noticeThe cast iron plaque forbidding dog fouling was put up by Bradford on Avon Urban District Council. The Bradford Hundred area came under two councils from 1894: the UDC governed the area of the town itself, the rest, together with Melksham Without, Staverton and Hilperton, came under the Bradford & Melksham Rural District Council. Both had their offices in Bradford. In 1974 the whole area and more came under West Wiltshire District Council, which itself was absorbed into Wiltshire Council in 2009. The present Bradford Town Council is a civil parish council covering the old UDC area.

     < Back to the previous page