Old images: Atworth

.

Click on the thumbnail pictures for a bigger view

St Michael's Church, AtworthThe only old postcard of Atworth in the Museum’s collection shows St Michael and All Angels parish church, mostly hidden behind trees. Only the tower remains of the medieval church, which was a chapel of Bradford. The hall-like building alongside dates from 1832. The postcard was published by E.J. Lewington at Atworth’s post office.

.

.

Fancy dress for Silver Jubilee celebration, Atworth 1935A newspaper photograph showing people in fancy dress as part of Atworth’s celebration of King George V’s Silver Jubilee in 1935. The mother was Mrs T. Ellis, the baby Mrs F. Sumsion and the nurse Mr W.G. Ryall.

.

.

 

The Forresters public houseThe former Foresters public house at the old village centre. In this 1994 photograph it was called The Forresters (a misspelling?), having re-opened after briefly closing after being called The Thirsty Beggar. It has unfortunately now closed for good and is a private house.

.

.

..

L.S. Jordan advert 1950Jordan’s electrical shop operated in the main Bath-Melksham road for many years. This advertisement is from the 1950 edition of the Gudgeon, the annual magazine of Fitzmaurice Grammar School in Bradford.

.

.

..

.

Atworth Roman Villa excavations 1938The excavations of Atworth Roman Villa in 1938, with a view over the bath house and its under-floor heating.

.

.

.

A group visiting Great Chalfield Manor HouseA group of men visiting Great Chalfield Manor House, probably in the 1930s, photographed by Richard Christopher, the Bradford chemist. They may have been members of the Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Society.

.

     < Back to the previous page